Papa showed me a recipe from the
Source section of the Sunday paper for No-Knead Sweet Potato Rolls. He suggested that they might be nice to have with dinner.I happened to have quite a few sweet potatoes on hand and decided to give it a try. The rolls were easy and delicious - light, soft and buttery. I served them with Sweet Potato Pie in a Cheddar Poppy Seed Crust - a
Mollie Katzen recipe from her
The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. The only change I made to her pie recipe was using freshly squeezed OJ with the pulp instead of using the chopped orange. I found that the orange membranes were too bitter for my taste and a bit annoying to chew when the texture of the filling is so creamy. I also replaced the bread crumbs for the topping with flour and doubled the brown sugar and butter. It made the topping more like a streusel, but the sweetness balanced nicely. This pie is hearty and full of vitamin A. The kids and I all agree that it was even tastier the following day.
Below is the recipe for the rolls. It was adapted by Christine Burns Rudalevige from thekitchen.com.
No-Knead Sweet Potato Rolls (makes 24 rolls)
1 pkg. yeast
1 c. mashed sweet potato
1 c. milk
4 tbs. unsalted butter, melted
2 tbs. brown sugar
2 tsp. Kosher salt
4 c. all-purpose flour
Combine 3/4 c. warm water with yeast in a large bowl. Add potatoes, milk, butter, brown sugar, and salt.
Add flour and stir until a shaggy dough is formed. The dough will be very sticky. Cover dough and let rise 2-5 hours. Refrigerate if desired to make it easier to use. (I didn't, and it worked just fine.) Grease muffin tins. On a floured surface, cut dough into 72 pieces. Form into balls, and drop three balls into each muffin cup. Cover, and let rise until nearly doubled in size. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until puffed and brown. Brush rolls with butter. Serve.
No comments:
Post a Comment