Monday, October 13, 2014

Leif Erikson Day

Dear Evangeline,

October 9th is Leif Erikson Day. You don't know who Leif Erikson is now, but someday your Mama and Daddy will tell you all about him. Perhaps they will even read you the book I read to your Mama when she was little. It was written by Ingrid and Edgar D'Aulaire. The story is very exciting, and I think that you will love the pictures. My favorite is the picture of Leif with the polar bear.


Every year we celebrate Leif Erikson Day because he was a very brave viking who discovered North America and named it Vineland because of all the wild grapes that made delicious wine.You are descended from the vikings (the Norsemen) on your Poppy's side. But I will tell you all about that another time.

To remember this day, we ate Norwegian meatballs (dilled and with sour cream), mashed potatoes, green beans, and Danish dilled cucumbers. Dessert was rice pudding with cranberries sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. And of course we had some of Poppy's good homemade beer.

I've put the recipe for the dilled cucumbers below for your Mama to make for you some day.

Danish Pickled Cucumbers

3 medium cucumbers
1/2 c. vinegar
1/2 c. water
2 tbs. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
chopped dill

Slice cucumbers very thinly and place in a bowl. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.

I love you, Sweet Girl.
Gramma




No comments:

Post a Comment