Friday, March 25, 2011

Green Tomato Mincemeat

This is for my sister-in-law, Karen, who has demonstrated the patience of a saint while waiting for me to get my act together and post this.

I stumbled across this recipe years ago when I had a plethora of green tomatoes and no idea how to use them. Apparently it is a Yankee favorite since I was given several hand written cards with the same recipe by older ladies who were trying to answer a few questions I had on canning with suet. I did use the suet once, and then the following year decided to try the recipe without the added fat. I could detect no difference in taste or texture of the mince, and so I have continued to make it sans suet. I still follow The Blue Book's recommendation to process by pressure cooker. But I have also frozen the mince in 1 quart containers with good results. One quart of mincemeat yields one pie. I usually simmer the mince for about 20min. before I put it in the pie shell.

Green Tomato Mincemeat

2 qts. cored, chopped green tomatoes
1 tbs. salt
2-1/2 qts. cored, chopped apples (I don't peel them)
3-1/2 c. brown sugar
1-1/2 c. chopped suet
1 lb. raisins
1 med. orange (I chop the entire orange in the food processor)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 c. vinegar

Sprinkle salt over chopped tomatoes; let stand for 1 hr. Rinse and drain.
Cover tomatoes with boiling water; let stand for 5 min. Drain. Combine all ingredients in a large saucepot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15min.

To can: Ladle hot mincemeat into hot jars, leaving 1 in. headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. Process pints and quarts 1 hour and 30 min. at 10 lbs. pressure in steam-pressure canner.

To freeze: Cool mincemeat and pack into freezer containers.

Yield: 10 pints or 5 quarts

No comments:

Post a Comment