Friday, March 25, 2011

Cheesy Garden Chowder

This chowder is a definite crowd pleaser. It makes a great lunch or a satisfying supper with homemade bread or popovers. I once made homemade bread bowls and served the chowder in style. It was quite a hit! Add more vegetables, if you like, and change up the types of cheese. I like to use cheddar, but a friend gave me some block American cheese and I used half American, half cheddar. I usually double this recipe so we can have it for lunch the next day.

Cheesy Garden Chowder

1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped pepper
1/4 c. butter (I use 2 tbs.)
1 c. each diced potato, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot
3 c. water
3 bouillon cubes
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. flour
2 c. milk
1 tsp. parsley
3 c. shredded cheese

Saute onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Add vegetables, water, bouillon, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 min. or until vegetables are tender. Meanwhile, combine flour and milk, whisking until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring back to a boil; cook and stir until thickened. Add parsley, and stir in cheese until melted. Serve hot.


Will's Fabulous Popovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment