Saturday, February 6, 2010

Seafood Chowder

This recipe is inspired by Jennifer Bouchard from the Lobster Festival in Rockland, Maine. I used what seafood I had on hand and adapted the ingredients to my taste. Her addition of sweet potato is truly inspired. It created a depth to the broth that was sweet and creamy, better than carrots. I cooked the vegetables until they fell apart and became more of a slurry with a few small bits of vegetable. The surimi was good in this chowder, and because it's inexpensive I added a lot. Enjoy!

Seafood Chowder

6 slices bacon
1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, diced
1 cup clam broth or juice
2 white potatoes, peeled and diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
2 tbs. flour
3/4 tsp. thyme
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound haddock
1/2 pound Maine shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 pound scallops
1/2 pound surimi (imitation crab)
1 cup milk
1-1/2 to 2 cups half-and-half
Fresh parsley, for garnish

In a large stockpot over medium heat, cook bacon until browned. Remove bacon. Add butter and onions, and cook for 10 minutes. Add potatoes, thyme, pepper, and salt. Add clam broth and enough water to cover vegetables; bring to a simmer. Cook until the potatoes are very tender, about 10 minutes. Add the flour and stir until well combined. Lay haddock fillet on top of vegetables. Cover and simmer until fish flakes with a fork. Add shrimp, scallops, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add surimi, milk, and half-and-half; heat through. (Do not bring to a boil or the chowder will curdle.) When finished add parsley and serve. Serves 6.

2 comments:

  1. NOMS.

    This sounds SO delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a wonderful Lenten meal! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete