Tuesday, February 2, 2010

February Blues?

They were the shortest of days, they were the longest of days. So might Charles Dickens have opened a novel about February in Maine. Yes, the days are noticeably longer, and considerably colder. The snow, once so white and clean, looks old and tired sullied by the dirt left from the January thaw. The shortest of months drags interminably on.

And too soon, it seems, the season of Lent will be upon us. A February feeling of melancholy has settled. Yet, I can also feel the approaching springtime stirring in my bones.

This year, I have resolved to anticipate Spring earlier than usual. Today I bought two bushes of silk flowers - one of daffodils, the other hydrangeas. I usually abhor artificial flowers, preferring the tired looking dried flowers from last Fall. But this year a thirst for color tugs at my soul. I long for bright yellows, pinks, and the purple of hyacinths.

Am I anticipating Easter before the Lenten fast? Or could the recent passing of my Dad be directing my thoughts toward Resurrection? Whatever the reason, this year I think I will approach Lent, and February for that matter, with a different attitude - one of humble gratitude for so Great a Father, Who brings life out of death, and yes, Spring out of Winter.

1 comment: