Sunday, December 11, 2011

St. Nicholas' Day

Jolly Old St. Nicholas, lean your ear this way.
Don't you tell a single soul, what I'm going to say.
Christmas Eve is coming soon, now, you dear old man,
Whisper what you'll bring to me.
Tell me, if you can.
- Christmas song


I don't know why this song has such a special place in my heart. Perhaps it's because my Nana used to sing it to us in her soft voice when we were little children. There is something charming about the simple, gentle melody - one that I used to find myself singing very quietly to my babies as I rocked them to sleep surrounded by the soft lights of the Christmas tree.


The idea of a jolly old elf never seemed to quite live up to the stories I heard as a little girl of a kindly old bishop secretly leaving bags of gold on the doorsteps of poor families to prevent their daughters from being sold into slavery. No wonder the Church made him a patron saint of children. The stories of his generosity have inspired millions over the centuries, and many traditions surround his feast day.

On St. Nicholas Day the kids waken to find a treat in their shoes that we put in front of the wood stove. Usually the treat is a little bag of chocolate coins, but some years it is a piece of homemade fudge wrapped in foil.


Once school lessons are over, the preparations for dinner begin. We usually celebrate with Greek food - avgolomeno soup, Greek chicken, spanikopita, and a large Greek salad. Then there is Bishop's Bread for dessert. Unfortunately, due to crazy sports schedules, I was pressed for time this year so the Bishop's bread will have to wait until Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. I don't mind at all if you wait till Christmas for the Bishop's Bread. I cannot wait to have some. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, this is a lovely post. Elegantly simple.

    ReplyDelete