Monday, April 4, 2011

A Broccoli Recipe

Broccoli seems to me a vegetable that one either loves or hates. I remember as a child hating the texture of broccoli - it always seemed so limp and lifeless. What I didn't know at the time was that it had probably been overcooked. Thus the disgusting texture.

It was not until I had my first taste of Chinese food that I realized broccoli was a vegetable not only tasty to eat, but highly versatile as well. Its health benefits are well known, and it is now a staple vegetable in our home. I am always looking for new ways to prepare it. Here is a great recipe that uses raw broccoli. The additions can be as creative as you are. I adapt this depending on what goodies I have in my cupboard.

Broccoli Salad

1-1/2 - 2 lbs. broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1-2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (I like the extra sharp variety)
1/2 c. raisins (I use craisins)
sunflower seeds to taste
bacon bits to taste

Mix all of the above in a large bowl. Add dressing. Serve.

Dressing:

1 c. mayonnaise (I use Hellman's Mayonnaise Dressing with olive oil)
2 tbs. cider vinegar
1/4 c. sugar

1 comment:

  1. We LOVE broccoli and have grown it in the past but the cabbage worms make it difficult. I think I will try it again next year, maybe with row covers.

    I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete