Monday, December 28, 2009

'Tis the Season for Cranberries

Here is a great recipe for those who may want a twist to the standard cranberry relish ( which we all love here, by the way). I love to serve this with roasted pork loin, and it does very well with turkey, too. Serve warm over baked brie wrapped in phyllo dough and garnished with slivered almonds. Simply delicious. A wedge of brie never lasts long.



Cranberry Chutney

1 c. whole fresh/frozen cranberries
1/3 c. vinegar
2 tbs. water
2 tsp. grated fresh ginger or ½ tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. cloves
2/3 c. sugar
1 peeled, chopped apple

Cook cranberries in vinegar and water until skins pop. Add spices and sugar, and bring to boiling. Cook for 20 min.until slightly thickened. Chutney thickens as it cools. I have added raisins in the past, but have received so many protests from the kids that I must leave the offending fruits out just to keep the peace.

This year I had a terrible time finding fresh cranberries. Instead I used 1 can of whole cranberry sauce per recipe and adjusted the sugar to taste. I found no noticeable difference, although I was unable to do side-by-side comparisons. It is much less expensive to use the canned cranberry sauce, and is perfect when serving this chutney in the off season.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I'm so glad I found your blog! It's wonderful! And thanks for the recipe. I posted the eggnog recipe on facebook.

    ReplyDelete