Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Hidden Treasure


I went up to the garden this afternoon to see if there were any beans for supper. No beans. Only flowers. But that is something. The squash plants are still alive - the moats around them have dried somewhat in the sun. There are thundershowers predicted for tomorrow; I can only hope that the rain will be light.

As I was leaving the garden I noticed some very lush tomato plants growing amid even lusher weeds. The seeds must have wintered over in the compost pile Joe made, and in the rich, porous soil they have grown undisturbed and quite happily. I decided to weed around them and as I pulled out handfuls of wild grass, jewel weed, and dandelion, I happened upon a small cucumber. After further investigation I realized that I had found the cucumbers that Joe had planted in early June. They had been forgotten in the rain, mud, and growing weeds. With a grateful heart for small treasures, I picked two spiny fruits and brought them back to the house.

I also picked the first of our cherry tomatoes today - a small orange variety. They were exceptionally sweet. God is good. All the time.

1 comment: